If you are like many other families, prepping and cooking dinner after a long day of work and activities can be a stressful, and even daunting task. You may be considering a healthy meal delivery service or a meal kit service as an option to regain some of your time and to ensure a healthy variety of meals for you and your family. Unlike meal kits which you still must cook yourself, healthy meal delivery services come with food already cooked and ready to heat and serve. Consider our list of pros and cons to meal delivery services so you can make an informed decision regarding prepared meal delivery and everything that goes along with it.
- Time savings – The average person spends 37 minutes per day on meal prep and cooking. This does not even include the time spent shopping! Meal kits like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron remove the grocery shopping but still involve cooking. Prepared meal delivery services go all the way, removing the planning, shopping, and cooking, and add reduced stress, hobbies, and quality time to your day. Many Boston families are turning to companies like The Foodery to provide them with healthy, time saving dishes for the whole family.
- Variety – Many meal delivery companies offer a larger variety than the average person can cook on their own. Freshly offers about 25 options per week for you to choose from, with new options alternating in regularly.
- Diet-specific meals – When you are eating a specific diet, whether it be a lifestyle choice or a dietary necessity, you will find many companies offer alternatives to accommodate your needs. Companies like Kettlebell Kitchen and Paleo Power Meals offer paleo friendly dishes you will love.
- It’s healthy – Depending on which company you choose, meal delivery services can be a truly healthy way to eat. Enjoy well-balanced nutrient-dense dishes when you choose a companies like Macro Mediterranean or Cooking From The Heart.
- Less food waste – Roughly 50% of food produced in the United States goes to waste. With controlled portions, you will help reduce the food waste from your household and save money in the process. Say goodbye to neglected leftovers and hello to being eco-friendly when you opt to enjoy prepared food delivery.
- Finding the right service – While the idea of utilizing a prepared food delivery service seems useful, choosing the right service for you can be a downright exhausting process. Trying many different companies in search of the perfect meal delivery service can be difficult, especially when trying to fit researching and ordering into your already busy schedule. Rest assured though, it pays off.
- Excess packaging – When items are shipped, you are bound to have an excess of packaging. Large amounts of cardboard and plastic create guilt for the eco-aware person, and plastic can take anywhere from 10-1000 years to break down in a landfill.
- Some companies lack flavor – If you are striving to be cost effective you will be sacrificing flavor. While still healthy, many low-cost alternatives tend to be on the bland side, often coming in frozen packages laden with preservatives.
- No meal customization – While there are many diet specific choices coming out such as gluten-free, dairy-free, and even vegan, most dishes themselves are unable to be customized. This can be a big deal to a picky eater, greatly limiting the options they can choose from on any given week.
- Delivery planning – Typically, meals will arrive once or twice per week. For food safety reasons, it is imperative to intercept your deliveries and transfer them to the refrigerator or the freezer right away. Because of this, planning for a delivery can be difficult unless you have someone who can intercept your packages for you.
The benefits of a meal delivery service are great, but you will have to decide for yourself if they outweigh the cons. Although it can take a few weeks of trial and error, trying a few different companies and sticking with it can be very beneficial to you in the long run to help you save time, reduce stress and eat healthy.